Being a busy mom of 2 high energy daughters, I was on the edge of my seat listening to Kim John Payne and Jewel discuss the beautiful concepts of Simplicity Parenting at this years Sun Valley Wellness Festival.
- As a parent you must get rid of the noise so that you can hear the rhythm of your soul
- There are no disobedient children, only disoriented ones
- Why do kids seem to push every one of your buttons? They are simply “nautically” pinging you to get their bearings
- How can we be at our most oriented when our kids are their most disoriented?
- Magnetic North is the phenomenon of getting pulled from your TRUE NORTH by social influences (i.e. what other moms are doing, saying…)
- Above all, identify what your family VALUES are. Check in each am + pm to audit whether your actions reflected your values.
- Be unconventional. If the needs of your children are being met and you are living by your families values, that is all that matters.
- When your children misbehave, become inquisitive not accusatory
- Yelling is a stress REGRESS
- Do not let yourself escalate….if you are hysterical it is historical and your reaction has nothing to do with what is presently happening
- Don’t be conflict averse, move towards the pain and ask “why”
- Parenting is a practice. Most things you do well and enjoy, you practice.
- Break the action-reaction cycle
- Open up your vocal range with your children
- Find your own voice
- Work is the antidote to being spoiled. Spoiling your children is a form of abuse that leaves not a mark but a huge scar. It robs your children of self empowerment.
- The key is to be strong vs being on one end of the spectrum (not overly kind or overly strict).